Of course you can! And I personally have enjoyed my work without consciously knowing my core values. And yet …
When you consciously know your core values you have a boundless sense of certainty and commitment to what you’re doing. Your enjoyment reaches a different dimension. What you do, say, feel, think are based on an extra foundation of assurance, confidence, which is sound in form.
Because you have this stronger internal foundation, you are likely to:
– be bolder in what you’ll try, accepting the consequences of mis-takes as an opportunity to learn. Naturally not risking anyone’s health or safety!
– find you are less dependant upon external sources of support e.g. less need to please others, less need to have other confirm you’re doing fine
– discover decision making is more straightforward
– value more what you have to offer
– be more self-assured and less likely to act like a victim
– be less defensive and less attacking
– be more open to other possibilities
– accept that other people may have different opinions, ideas, beliefs, etc and that’s OK
i.e. you’ll be more often you at your best!
Now you’re not going to be like this ALL the time! After all, you are human. However, you will be more consistently and more often.
How do I know? Especially as I said I enjoyed my work without consciously knowing my core values.
Well, now I am working consciously knowing – and referring to – my core values in my work. And outside work too. And I notice I have all the above more consistently and more often. In addition, I’ve spoken with other people and they have had a similar experience. Yes, they describe it in slightly different ways, but the essence is the same.
There are sure to be other ways to achieve the same results – this is the way I know other people (as well as myself) have found works! How about giving it a go?
All the best